Adjaruli Khachapuri, Italian Style
Georgian Egg and Cheese Bread has traditional Mediterranean flavors and cheeses, like feta. Well, we didn't have feta when we made this, so we took it in our own direction. Change up the herbs and cheese to meet whatever you have in your fridge!
1 pound pizza dough
8 oz mozzarella, shredded
1/2 c Parmesan, grated
1 c cheddar cheese, shredded
1/3 c basil, sliced thin
1/4 c sun-dried tomatoes
2 cloves garlic, chopped
3 tbsp butter
1. Rise dough in a plastic bowl with flour, loosely covered in plastic wrap or a towel. Leave in a warm spot for 1-2 hours.
2. Roll dough to an oval shape. Preheat oven to 500F, heat pizza stone with oven.
3. In food processor, pulse Parmesan, cheddar, about half of the basil, and sun-dried tomatoes. Fold in mozzarella and 2 eggs.
4. Mold cheese mixture into a flat round shape, and place in center of dough. Roll dough on 2 parallel sides, meet at edges and connect to make a boat shape.
5. Melt 2 tbsp butter in microwave with garlic, pour or brush over dough.
6. Bake 15 minutes, make a well in the cheese, crack an egg in well. Bake 2 more minutes, add pat of butter.
7. Mix egg and butter with a fork into the cheese. Sprinkle fresh basil and serve immediately. For added flair, leave it un-stirred til at the table, but make sure it's stirred in pretty quickly!